2/25/12

Get Tough....


Hey there Friends of the blog,

This is URSALA! Queen of the Cave Bears! I cranked out this image for the Angel City Derby Girls out in LA. They're hosting their fifth EAT YOUR ART OUT art auction show this Saturday Feb. 25th and I'm on the dance card.
The theme for this show was Carnival After Dark, and I began by waffling back and forth on what to make (tattooed ladies, fat ladies, Bearded ladies, and contortionists mainly) before deciding that girls kicking ass on roller skates might appreciate the concept of the classic strong woman. Did some research and found some cool old reference photos and stuff. Had lots of fun plotting out the early sketches and noodling with how muscular I was gonna make this lass. This then led to some struggles while I tried to finalize the image where I learned that, indecision does indeed suck. In the end I wound up with this bulky brawny beauty. Which then led me to making a narrative for her as a Strong woman who fights with Grizzly Bears in a spectacular side show event.

I'll see about going back to some of my old sketches here in the future and doing a few more of these, maybe a little strong woman series. I'm trying to branch out more. Truth be told I do draw more then just beers, bears, caricatures, and other stuff. I actually filter out some of my work here and there when I post, but I'm trying to share more varied art with you here, in the future.

Hope you dig,
P

P.S. this is an early comp ans sketch that I'm attaching just for kicks..

Also, I even dabbled in a bit of font building during this project... built the letters I needed in Flash with vector shapework... Probably some of my favorite stuff to do with that program.

5 comments:

Mug It Up!/Jim H said...

Cool -she definitely looks up for some vigorous bear rasslin'!

Ben Newman said...

This great! good work.

GOGOPEDRO said...

Thanks for the support guys, It was a challenge to crank this out and I really appreciate the vote of confidence... More to come in the future....

P

Tooninator said...

This is one bad-ass poster and girl! Really love the layout. Great work.

Dave said...

Looks great! The rough sketch is cool too!