3/20/13

Biscuits and Wood Glue.

NUMBER TEN BISCUITS!
Watching people work with they're hands to make something is something I really do enjoy.  I've been known to open a YouTube window to watch someone oil paint, or throw pottery on a wheel, sculpt a bust, and even do calligraphy from time to time.

Growing up I would get that afternoon PBS jolt of artists who'd paint in little half hour segments.  There was Bob Ross of course, and a few others that I can't quite place names for right now.  But the other big thing that I grew to love was watching Norm Abram on the NEW YANKEE workshop.  For those unfamiliar.  The show was a half hour woodworking project, where NORM would take you to a a historic site or an antique shop.  He'd show you some furniture, using a myriad of great descriptive terms, and then you'd watch him build the thing.  His shop was staggering, I remember watching episodes with my father and looking over to see my father just Marveling at the space, when I got older we'd discuss the fact that Norm had an abundance of space and more power tools then any ONE PROJECT could ever need.

Norm also did a lot of Biscuit Joinery.  A process where to panels of wood were precisely planed to fit evenly.  Grooves where cut in the joints of the two panels and it was all fitted with these little wooden bits (Biscuits) and lots of glue... It made for a really nice joints.
I found some episodes on the ol' YOUTUBE.  Norm builds a CHEST on a CHEST! 

Other terms I like from the show:
Router, Stacked Dado Head Cutter, Dovetailing Jig, Morticing Gig, Dutching, Random Orbital Sander, Rip Fence, Sacrificial Strip, and many many more.

Hope you dig..
P

P.S.
Remember shop safety... "There is no more important safety rule then to wear these.  Safety Glasses."

2 comments:

Dagan Moriarty said...

Great, loose, SUPER-fun! :)

GOGOPEDRO said...

Many thanks DAGAN!