3/27/09

Dusty, Rusty, and otherwise Unkepmt...

So,

I'm still getting the occasional word on the sly from my friends here in the city about my neglect of blogging responsibly, and never posting certain things, and yadda, yada, ya ya ya. You know who you are, Well here you go.....


Are you happy now?
Because I am. I trekked out of the office last night into the light drizzle of the bustling east side. Strolling up Lexington Ave. to a place that I'd only read about in books (about C.D.Gibson, one of my hero's) and heard fellow artists mention in passing. But, last night I set foot behind the big red door at the corner of 63rd and Lexington.
I went to the Society of Illustrators!
And it was a great evening in so much as I did drawings. Longer drawings, 20 minute poses even. I haven't done that from a live model in what seems like forever. And sadly it showed a little. It was kinda like hauling your yard tools out to do gardening in the spring and finding out that they needed to be sharpened, cleaned, and honed again. But, after only one night I've got the fire again to get back into it and improve my drawings, BECAUSE I WANNA GET BETTER.

There was live music, a bar, and it was a little crowded.
But, Damn!.. Some fine models, under good light, and I got to sit really close (possibly too close) to the platform. Nice poses, some costumes, and props too.
I'm still reeling a little from the experience.
Needless, to say its more expensive then the other figure drawing session (that one's free) I frequent. However, I know now I'll be going back, I'll just make sure that I'm writing it all offa my taxes for 09'...

Yeah, Good times, from 6 to 9.

So, lemme know what you think and I'll go and clean my tools to draw like a demon next time I visit.

Hope you dig.

P

11 comments:

Liam said...

Never happy, post more life drawing, less computer!!!! Arrrrrr, now I must go be cranky and not draw modok!!
Awesome stuff dude, may have to join you one of these days!!!!

GOGOPEDRO said...

EH....
YADDA YADDA, There's hardly any photoshop on these..
Just some stuff for framing, and a little splash of color to spice up my rusty rendering...
Curse you LIAM....
..
and thanks.

P

Ryan Green said...

Damn...these are great, Pedro! I haven't done 20 min. poses since college.

Looks like you had the awkward position of being in the "stare zone" of the model.

Alisa said...

great stuff! Good to know the Society of Illustrators is all it's cracked up to be.

GOGOPEDRO said...

Yeah Ryan, It was pretty intense...
She had a rather expressionless character to her face..made me ill at ease but, the drawing makes me equally uneasy when I look at it...
So, I succeeded right?

Alisa, yeah don't let the title of this post fool you. It was a pretty awesome evening out, I'll certainly do it again. The title was more for my skutzy drawings that night.

Christi said...

I really like these sketches.

I'm a little disappointed to hear that they have a bar and live music at the Society of Illustrators. Sounds like Dr. Sketchy's. Although it's fun it fuels my ADD too much to really focus.

GOGOPEDRO said...

Thanks Elliot...
Pigs are DELICIOUS...

also,

thanks Christi...
Yeah, well love it or hate it its a chance to draw live nudes. I didn't choose to drink that evening but, I might have done during some of the breaks (they where long) still the music was alright. Beyond that the only thing that blocked my focus was....me.

Colin Jack said...

these are great!

Unknown said...

Dood! I really like these. they are wonderfully expressive in a subdued manner that i really enjoy. I would love to see more of these....

GOGOPEDRO said...

Thanks Jacks, I'm a Fan for sure.
Also...

Thanks NM, I'll see about doing some more as soon as I can get out and rock another couple of sessions....
I'm looking forward to doing better work next time.
So, when I get some more, I'll post them.

P

Vincenzo said...

Great, great sketches Pedro...if it didn't take me an hour and a half to drive in and 40 bucks to park I would love to join you at S.I. :(